Understanding the groundwork of government

My internship at the office of US Senator Kirsten Gillibrand is at her regional hub in midtown New York City. The regional office is divided into two departments: outreach and casework. I am a casework intern. Each of the seven casework staffers covers a particular portfolio area in terms of the cases they handle. My department has a broad range of significant issues that bring in a high volume of casework. We are responsible for handling all employment-related and labor cases, including anything to do with discrimination, unemployment and worker’s compensation, housing cases, consumer affairs issues, children and family cases, and human trafficking issues. Casework involves daily interaction with a variety of constituents who vary in knowledge of the government’s role and in particular, the separation of powers that can make it challenging for the Senator’s office to provide them with the answers of which they are seeking.

I have always been passionate about wanting to make an impact as a female leader through policy initiatives. I applied for several different internships online, including the one at Senator Gillibrand’s office. It was important to follow up via phone and email to make sure that those in charge did not forget about me, but also knew I was very committed to doing whatever it took to secure the position.

My first few weeks have been a whirlwind and each day has brought new and exciting experiences. My supervisor has included me in important meetings with different agencies that work to support NY constituents. Watching the connections the staffers in my office build with these outside agencies has been crucial to understanding their role in making a difference. I also learn from my co-interns because as the senior intern, I have had to train new interns and allow them to work on their own without micromanaging their every move. Working with likeminded people who are committed to helping our country thrive has been an incredible opportunity thus far. I look forward to learning more about the inner workings of the government office and using my relationships to help me improve to be the best worker possible.