Summer in Sex Crimes

Hi! My name is Elizabeth Doski! I’m a rising senior double majoring in Political Science and Sociology and minoring in Psychology. I plan on attending law school right after I graduate. This summer I will be interning at the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Sex Crimes Division. This will be my fifth year interning for the District Attorney’s Office. When I was in high school I spent two summers interning in my local office. After freshman year I interned in the Major Crimes Division, and last summer I interned for Sex Crimes. I am so excited to be coming back to the same office, it will be nice to see some familiar faces and to feel comfortable in my work environment.

The Sex Crimes Division has a great internship program that encourages everyone to learn new skills and branch out. Last summer the interns were all able to tour the county jail, go on ride a longs, tour the crime lab, and attend interesting information sessions (for example a lecture about the OJ Simpson trial given by one of the prosecutors). We also got to attend training sessions for law enforcement about prosecuting sex crimes. In the office we reviewed incoming cases, watched trials, made power points for opening and closing statements, read transcripts, and helped the attorneys in any way necessary. My goals for this summer are to expand my knowledge of sex crimes, maintain connections with attorneys I worked with last summer, gain new professional connections, attempt to do thesis research, develop my ability to use the California Penal Code to recommend if cases have enough evidence to move forward, and attend more trainings about sex crimes.

Sex Crimes fits well with Newcomb’s values, because many of the people that I will be working with are women and the majority of the victims in Sex Crimes are women. The division is led by two women and the Los Angeles County District Attorney is a woman. To prepare for the internship I needed to have my fingerprints taken for a background check. I have also been in contact with the supervisor for scheduling. Other than that I consider myself very lucky to be doing the same internship that I did last year, because I feel very confident going into the internship. I’m excited to get back to doing work and helping victims–I know it’s going to be another rewarding summer!

Lady Justice in Front of the Hall of Justice in Los Angeles