My first few weeks at The Cato Institute

This summer I am working as a research intern at The Cato Institute. The Cato Institute is a public policy “think tank” organization located in Washington, D.C. and is dedicated to the principles of individual liberty, free markets and peace. Its scholars and analysts conduct independent, nonpartisan research on a wide range of policy issues, including immigration, healthcare, education, and finance.

As a research intern, I serve a wide range of responsibilities. One of my primary roles lies within Cato’s Media Relations Department where I research newsworthy topics for Cato scholars to comment on, prepare daily summaries of Cato citations and media appearances and attend daily media department meetings. In addition, I work in Cato’s Education and Child Policy Department, where I partake in research which examines the impact of the degrees of school choices a district affords its constituents on educational outcomes. Lastly, and best of all, I am participate in the Cato Internship Seminar series, where I attend lectures regarding free markets and liberty’s role in modern issues, including but not limited to immigration. criminal justice and cyber security.

As a student with a long interest in politics, I became aware of Cato when I learned about the many think-tanks such as Cato, American Enterprise Institute, Heritage Foundation, and Brookings which influence the public policy. But what sparked my interest to apply to Cato was hearing Cato Senior Fellow Doug Bandow speak at Tulane regarding his experiences in North Korea and research this fall. With the words of Doug Bandow reverberating in my mind, I was fortunate enough to attend the PLEN Women and Public Policy Conference in Washington, D.C this January, where I learned even more about Cato and their Summer Internship Program.

(As a a FYI, Newcomb offers many scholarships to PLEN, which I highly recommend). Those two experiences inspired me to apply to Cato.

My time at Cato and in Washington, D.C. has been filled with extraordinary learning experiences and I thought I would share some of them here:

• As a part of my time at Cato, all interns attend a series of seminars in which Cato fellows describe their world-class research. Some of my favorite seminars to date include Alex Nowrasteh’s talk on immigration policy, Julian Sanchez’s discussion on NSA spying, and Tom Palmer’s overview of 2500 years of the history of liberty.
  • Last week I was given the opportunity to visit the Supreme Court to hear firsthand the Supreme Court justices issue their opinions on notable cases. One opinion I was given the privilege to hear was Justice Anthony M. Kennedy’s majority opinion in Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission. The Supreme Court decided in the case that owners of public accommodations can refuse certain services based on the First Amendment. The case was one of the most important Supreme Court cases for civil liberties in American history. Thus, it was an honor to be present the very moment the decision was rendered.
  • This week I helped run Cato’s event #CatoDigital—Net Neutrality, Six Months Later, where Federal Communications Commission chairman Ajit Pai discussed the FCC’s decision to appeal net neutrality.
  • On a more extracurricular note, I am in the process of exploring all of “DC” with the other interns at Cato in my free time. Some of my favorite memories now include going for tacos in Adams Morgan, museum-hopping in the National mall and attending a Congressional Baseball Game!

Since my Cato Internship is just starting to take off, I truly do not know what to expect for the rest of this summer. Cato has already taught me so much about politics and myself and I cannot wait to continue to share the rest of my D.C. experiences with you as they come about!

maxresdefault

Watching Chairman of the Federal Communications Commission Ajit Pai speak at Cato!

35386891_1667076266663295_4689168886304604160_n.jpg

The scene outside the Supreme Court after the decision of Masterpiece Cakeshop, Ltd. v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission.

35548160_1667076799996575_2254269372635807744_n.jpg

In front of our “Rival” think-tank–The Heritage Foundation! Every summer, the interns from Heritage and Cato debate each other on whether conservatism or libertarianism is the supreme philosophy.

35547743_1667076386663283_3514372915690733568_n.jpg

Before the Supreme Court released their decisions!