Two Weeks at the U.S. Department of State

(Delayed posting due to internal processing)

The first two weeks at my internship with the State Department have been absolutely incredible! I’m interning with the Office of the Executive Director for the Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs and the Bureau of South and Central Asian Affairs. Within the office, I’m working on the Afghan Special Immigrant Visa Unit. The organization of the State Department can be a little confusing, but I’m learning all of the acronyms and flow charts with time! My unit works to adjudicate visas for Afghans who dutifully served the United States and are currently under threat because of their service. We work with the embassy in Kabul to verify visa applications and to combat fraud.

My specific responsibilities include a long term project and smaller tasks that my office needs done at any given time. I am conducting research on companies in Afghanistan and investigating contract fraud in other areas, so that my office will have a better idea of who our applicants worked for, and if these companies truthfully served the interests of the United States. Additionally, I help in other steps of the visa adjudication process by entering data and organizing information. My work relates to NCI’s mission because I am actively advancing women in international affairs through my professional development. I am learning vital skills to become a career foreign affairs professional, and in doing so, I am gaining the skills that I will need to advance the interests of women around the world.

I found my internship by talking to other students at Tulane who had worked for the Department of State. I asked a former intern to get lunch with me, and I used that opportunity to ask her every question that I had about applying to the job and getting a security clearance. I also utilized Tulane’s Diplomat in Residence, Kali Jones. Her help was instrumental in my ability to get an internship with the Department. If anyone is interested in this internship program, please reach out to me! I would love to help. The application is due in October, so early preparation is key. Also, my advice for applying to any internship is to stay persistent. If it does not work out at first, keep communicating with your interviewer and your contacts. Let them know that you are still interested and that the internship is your first priority! If you build good relationships and keep in touch, I have found that it is very likely something will pan out.

My first week at the Department was overwhelming in a great way. I’ve wanted to be here for so long, so it was incredible to get my computer access and my badge to start working! I attended orientation and started on my summer project. The next week, I attended some programming put on by the Department, and I plan to keep attending events throughout the summer. Everyone in my office has an exceptional background in serving the United States through diplomacy. I have loved getting to know them thus far, and I cannot wait to learn more about how they got their starts in this career.

I expect to learn a lot this summer, both academically and professionally. The research that I have conducted thus far is so rewarding and interesting that I am considering an Honors Thesis on this topic! I love having time every day to read think tank pieces and papers about an important topic that has real-life impact in my office. Additionally, I am already gathering so much information about how to become a Foreign Service Officer from my coworkers. My professional knowledge of careers at the Department has grown tenfold, and I cannot wait to learn more about this career path and other international careers in Washington!

picture-for-blog.jpg
A photo of me in the Hall of Flags at the Department of State