Interning with the New York Aquarium

Hello NCI! My name is Nora Louw. I am a rising senior at Tulane and an Ecology and Evolutionary Biology major. This summer I will be working at the New York Aquarium with the shark team on the Ocean Wonders exhibit maintaining the well-being of the sharks in residence as well as supporting conservation research and education.

The Learning Objectives I hope to achieve in this internship include:

1. Learning animal handling skills in an aquarium environment to maintain the well-being of species in captivity.
  2. Improving communication skills through supporting education of the public on shark importance and ecology.
  3. Be able to handle many tasks at once while ensuring the safety of patrons and species.
  4. Gather tactical hands-on skills that will ensure competency in future projects.
  5. Gain a sense of confidence in a fast-paced environment and be able to contribute valuable assets in a team setting.

This internship would provide me with empowerment in science, learning, and leadership. By getting an experience actively engaging in marine biology research this summer I will be able to propel my career with a stronger resume and take the lead in cutting edge research as a woman in the field. My participation in this internship would help me represent women in science and provide a strong example of what women can achieve in a research field. This position would inspire me to continue to pursue opportunities for leadership similar to this where I can share my knowledge with the public and inspire a sense of responsibility for our environment and species.

I am preparing for this experience by reading up on literature surrounding aquarium procedures specific to shark handling and keeping in touch with my supervisor to ensure I am ready to begin this exciting opportunity.

I am really excited about the interactive hands-on experience I will gain from this experience. I have conducted research analyzing video footage of sharks and rays as well as on dead specimens but this is my first opportunity to engage with live sharks and understand what exactly they need to stay healthy and happy in captivity in a conservation-focused institution like the New York Aquarium.