New at NOAF

This is my fourth session under NCI’s reproductive rights and health program and I’ve loved the opportunity to work with different organizations around the city. This session I was placed at NOAF. It is a lot different than my other internships. We are housed in a communal working space and everyone generally works independently. It is a change from my usual working environments! This space allows for collaboration, communication, and unity. Many of my past work environments have failed to have all three. I’m excited to see what affect this has on my work and my work experience.

NOAF has a small staff but a large, and growing, base of volunteers. Their work spans from canvassing, client services, advocacy, clinic escorts, and fundraising. I work under client services! I am currently working on an Oral Histories project by transcribing and indexing personal narratives for a anti-stigma campaign. I am thankful for my time at the New Orleans Children’s Advocacy Center for providing me the opportunity to learn how to transcribe! I am excited to continue using my skills for this NOAF campaign.

I have 5 goals for the semester, (1) Increase and sustain knowledge surrounding abortion legislation on access, historically, in the United States and Louisiana, (2) Develop a working knowledge of secure data management in a non-clinical setting, (3) Code, clean, organize, and analyze Client Services data, (4) Determine whether a clinical or non-clinical setting is a preferred working environment, (5) Contribute to the Oral Histories project by transcribing and indexing personal narratives to help establish an anti-stigma campaign.