My Virtual Transition

By: Sequoia Ragland

This summer I am continuing my internship with Sista Midwife Productions. The pandemic has posed a number of challenges for everyone, and for me. It has changed the dynamics of my internship routine that I previously settled into while in New Orleans. Working virtually has been very interesting! I have currently been working on two projects: a social media campaign for the Art of Birthing and revamping the Birth Story Project Survey. The Art of Birthing Exposition is an annual event held by Nicole Deggins (the Sista Midwife herself) that features art in all forms. From spoken word to films, the event is about all things birth and art. This year, it will be held virtually from September 21 – 27 and will include film watch parties, virtual happy hours, and even a paint-and-sip. I have been collaborating on the social media campaign for this year’s event, and this mainly involves creating Instagram posts. This has involved a lot of trial and error, but it has been a great learning experience. There is a lot that goes into planning such an intricate event, and the virtual aspect has proven to be challenging. I have learned so much from the process and I look forward to continuing this journey. The second project I have been working on is the Birth Story Project Survey. This survey aims to gather the experiences of those who have given birth in Louisiana to inform Sista Midwife Productions’ work and policy suggestions. The current survey is long and, while it serves a great purpose in collecting a wealth of information, we are looking to cut it down to create a shorter, more concise survey. This will give mothers the option to take either version of the survey, and our goal is that the shorter survey will be more accessible, and reach even more mothers across the state. I am so excited for what the rest of the summer has in store!