My Time as a Research Assistant

Since January of this year, I have been working for Dr. Daniel as her research assistant, working on topics such as crisis pregnancy centers and how reproduction and sex are communicated to children through media. I have had the privilege of doing not only feminist research but also research through the lens of queer theory and anti-capitalism. As discussed in our last internship meeting, I (and others) feel immensely grateful to have the opportunity to do research that aligns with my values, as well as furthers my knowledge.

To date, this is the first job that I have had where I feel valued and appreciated not only for my ability to work efficiently but also for my ideas and contributions. Like many other people, I have struggled with imposter syndrome, thinking that someone else could do my job better than I could. However, this job opportunity has given me cause to challenge some of those beliefs, as I genuinely feel respected by Dr. Daniel. I feel as if our relationship is truly collaborative, as she values my opinion, trusts my judgment, and cultivates my new ideas. She has given me space to take our research into new directions, such as childhood consumerism, how children learn science, and the history of censorship laws. With her mentorship, I have grown in my research ability, and my confidence to be a good employee. As the internship semester concludes, along with my time as a Tulane undergraduate, I will take these lessons and the values of reproductive justice into my future career and personal life.