Organizing to Protect Reproductive Freedom in Minnesota

By Hope Juzon

The approval of Louisiana Amendment 1 in November of 2021 presented a stark reminder of the urgency of protecting reproductive rights and access to reproductive health. The passage of this amendment has carried with it an intangible, inexplicable fear for many, which will continue to linger given the current conservative majority in the Supreme Court. As the nation anticipates the hearing of Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization in the 2021-2022 term, states must work to preserve the protections of Roe v. Wade to ensure reproductive freedom.

Through my work with Planned Parenthood Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Action Fund, I am developing a plan to organize around reproductive health and the Protect Reproductive Options (PRO) Act in Minnesota. The Protect Reproductive Options Act was introduced in the Minnesota legislature in 2020 and seeks to protect reproductive freedom. This piece of legislation establishes the fundamental right to make autonomous decisions about reproductive healthcare, including the right to contraception and the right to continue a pregnancy or have an abortion. The Protect Reproductive Options Act would guarantee reproductive freedom to Minnesotans regardless of decisions made by the Supreme Court.

Given the gravity of this impending attack against Roe v. Wade, I am driven by a sense of urgency as I approach my organizing work. I am currently working to develop a field plan to contact constituents in Rochester, Minnesota and the surrounding communities to inform them of accessible reproductive healthcare and garner support for the Protect Reproductive Options Act. As I continue developing and executing my field plan within the community in the coming months, I will be driven by the importance of guaranteeing these fundamental reproductive rights at the state level. Though my organizing efforts are often fueled by fear of injustice or work in response to presently unjust systems, I am approaching this organizing opportunity with a sense of hope as we seek to uplift and empower the voices of the Rochester community as they inform their legislators of their support for the Protect Reproductive Options Act.