Starting my summer with WWAV

Happy Summer, everyone! My name is Jessica Galloway and I’m a rising Junior studying Sociology and Political Science with a minor in Economics. This summer I am working with Lakeesha Harris at Women With a Vision, Inc. as a reproductive justice intern.

WWAV is a non-profit organization centered around working with and for the most vulnerable members of the New Orleans community, like our women of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, and sex workers. This is just the kind of intersectional work I have dreamt of doing and I am so grateful to NCI and WWAV for this opportunity.

It has only been a few weeks, but I can already see how my experiences this summer will help me achieve my learning objectives. My time at Tulane has helped me obtain a deeper understanding of the topics I developed passions for in high school. Through this internship, I hope to learn more about how to turn my passion and knowledge into meaningful work. I also hope to expand my network in the advocacy and community outreach fields. I have already been able to connect with many wonderful people from organizations like the New Orleans People’s Assembly and the New Orleans Abortion Fund.

One of the first events I attended with WWAV was Women’s Dinner Wednesday with the New Orlean’s People Assembly, where organizers congregate over some really good food, mingle, and discuss ongoing and upcoming efforts to create a more just society. What really stood out to me was how uplifting the experience was for everyone involved. The dinner ended with all of us forming a circle, linking hands, and repeating this quote from Assata Shakur:

“It is out duty to fight for our freedom. It is our duty to win. We must love each other and support each other. We have nothing to lose but our chains.”

I am excited to continue to be inspired, uplifted, and contribute what I can to the cause over the next few months.

– Jess